'No rest' despite denial of killer's open jail bid

The son of a murder victim, whose killer was refused a move to an open prison, has said the family's joy is tempered by the knowledge parole proceedings will eventually begin again.
William Dunlop strangled Julie Hogg, 22, and hid her body beneath a bath at her home in Billingham, County Durham, in 1989.
His conviction, after two trials failed to return a guilty verdict, made legal history when Ms Hogg's family campaigned to overturn double jeopardy laws.
Following the justice secretary's refusal to move Dunlop to an open prison, Kevin Hogg, 39, said there was no rest for the family and "the only comfort that we've got is he will remain in closed conditions for at least another 12 months".
The Parole Board will review Dunlop's case again within two years as part of the established legal process.
Mr Hogg said: "On a personal level it's devastating, but I know how it works.
"It's always the victim's family that have to serve the life sentence."
Reports for parole hearings would have to be compiled again, which could take up to nine months, Mr Hogg said.
He also confirmed the family would once again make an application for any parole review to be heard in public.

Parole Board hearings leading up to Thursday's decision to deny Dunlop's move to an open prison had been beset by delays.
A public hearing in June was adjourned at the last minute and rescheduled for December.
"It's been a rollercoaster ten months," Mr Hogg said.
"It's re-victimisation constantly, especially for my gran who has had to relive the whole process," he told BBC Radio Tees.

Prior to his conviction an while in prison for other offences, Dunlop boasted to a prison guard about getting away with Ms Hogg's murder.
A campaign by Julie Hogg's mother Ann Ming changed the double jeopardy law, which had meant he could not be prosecuted again for the same crime after being acquitted.
He was eventually found guilty and jailed in 2006.
Mr Hogg said his grandmother was "over the moon" with the decision to block Dunlop's move to an open prison.
Speaking about his late mother, Mr Hogg said: "I would like to think she would be proud of what my grandma has achieved.
"It wasn't just for our benefit, it's benefitted 15 other families for them to get justice as well."
Mr Hogg reiterated the family's request to meet Justice Secretary Shabana Mahmood.
A Ministry of Justice spokesperson said: "Julie Hogg's murder was a horrific crime and our thoughts remain with her friends and family.
"Public protection is our number one priority which is why we have blocked William Dunlop's transfer to open prison."