Man shot dead by officers was carrying knife - police

A man reported to have a firearm who was shot dead by officers was carrying a knife, police have confirmed.
Officers were called to Milton Keynes Central at 12:55 BST on Tuesday to reports of a man carrying a firearm at the station on Elder Gate, before a shot was fired.
A Thames Valley Police (TVP) spokesperson said "life-saving actions" had been taken but the man was pronounced dead at 13:44.
The force later said officers had challenged a man who actually had a knife and who had "moved at speed towards officers" with it.
The force has referred itself to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).
"TVP armed officers responded and challenged a white man who was carrying a knife outside the station," the police said in a statement shared on Tuesday.
Milton Keynes commander, Ch Supt Emma Baillie, said: "We understand that this incident may cause concern locally, but we would like to reassure the community that there is no wider risk to the public."

Eyewitnesses told the BBC they had heard screaming between officers and the suspect with the man refusing their requests to drop to the ground.
Hever Marin said he had heard a "very loud" shot and described the incident as "distressing".

Shazna Muzammil, a councillor and Conservative group leader at Milton Keynes City Council, told the BBC the incident was "really shocking".
"I really hope that everyone feels a bit safer knowing the police and emergency services have stepped up in support of residents and passengers," she said.

Matthew Barber, police and crime commissioner for Thames Valley, praised the officers involved for their actions.
"It is tragic that a man died in yesterday's incident, but I am thankful to the police officers who responded bravely and acted decisively in order to protect the public.
"If they had not done so the outcome could have been much worse."
The force has asked the public not to share footage or speculate about details online.

A heavy police presence remains at Milton Keynes Central on Wednesday.
London Northwestern Railway, which runs the station, has confirmed that trains are running as normal but that it may be busier than usual.
However, pedestrians travelling to the station have been warned that some access is restricted.
It also said some bus and taxi operations have been affected due to reduced access at Station Square.
Follow Beds, Herts and Bucks news on BBC Sounds, Facebook, Instagram and X.